Week 5 – How do I live as a Disciple-Maker?
Do you believe in Jesus as your Lord and savior? Awesome! Now what?
We put a lot of effort into helping people become Christians (that is time well spent). But how many people know what it means to be a Christian? The Christian life is best understood as “being a disciple.”
Jesus taught as a Rabbi who took on 12 disciples. Disciples are more than students in a classroom. These men followed Jesus as he traveled the region. They watched what he did, heard what he said, ate what he ate, and slept where he slept. Their purpose was to learn who Jesus was, so that they could live as he lived.
We may not have the opportunity the 12 had to walk with Jesus, but we can still know him through the gifts of Bible and prayer. Provided below are suggested methods to develop a fruitful devotion time.
It’s not enough to simply learn from Jesus. Jesus calls us in Matthew 28:18-20 to repeat his mission of making disciples wherever we go. We’ve included a few common places where we can make disciple-makers.
- [Watch] This is Discipleship (1:54)
- [Read] What do we mean by “Disciple,” Disciple Making,” and “Discipleship”? (Medium)
Methods for Reading the Bible
- [Read] The 4 Questions (Short)
- [Watch] HEAR Journaling: A simple Bible Journaling Method (8:11)
- [Read] What is a HEAR Journal? (short)
Methods for Praying
- [Watch] How to Pray: A.C.T.S. Method of Prayer (10:20)
- [Read] How to Pray with the ACTS Method (Medium)
- [Watch] How to Pray Scripture (3:45)
- [Read or Listen] How Do I Pray the Bible? (11:14)
Discipling Your Friends
- [Read] How to Start a Discipleship Group
- [Watch] How to Launch a Successful Discipleship Group (23:36)
- [Read] Discipleship Leader’s Cheat Sheet (short)
Discipling Your Family
- [Watch] Mr. Thompson and the Vicar Invent Children’s Church – FUNNY (5:19)
- [Watch] Voddie Baucham on Youth Ministry (38:29)
- [Watch] How Do You Do Family Worship? (6:06)
- [Read] Family Worship 101 (medium)
This simple catechism comes with an app and a children’s version. You can easily teach your kids doctrine by reading that week’s lesson after every family meal.
Discipling Your Neighbors
- [Watch] The Art of Neighboring (6 short videos)
[Read] The Art of Neighboring Book summary (Medium)